Monday, July 2, 2007

iPhone, You Phone, We...Phone

With apologies to the creators of the fine 80's cult film, Better Off Dead, of course. (If you've seen the film, you know where I borrowed this take off from...if you haven't seen it then darn it, you need to!)

Yes, I am just like every other Mac geek and am desperately in need of an iPhone. I plan on getting one soon, but I flat out refused to stand on a line or camp out at the Apple store. I know that once it's been a couple of weeks since it's been out, the furor will die down and I can walk in a store calmly and purchase one. Another thing I know, being a devout Apple loyalist, is that it will likely go down in price as well, as do all of their new buzz products in time. Not being cheap here folks...I dropped $300 for my last phone and $450 for a phone for my significant other not that long ago. I just look at it the same way as I looked at the iPod. When those first came out back in 2001, I said to myself..."Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a little box you can play a couple hundred songs on???"

Then I got one. Now, on my third iPod (currently using the 20 GB video, black) I don't know how I ever lived without one. If I forget my iPod on the way somewhere, I will more times than not go back for it. Sick huh?

That's the one thing I fear about the iPhone. Even MORE ways to find me, email me, Twitter me, IM me. Great. As if I don't enjoy enough interuptions. :)

I'll still buy one, of course. Because I depend on my electronic leash just as much as everyone else, and who doesn't want to have the nicest leash at the dog park? Of course...you do!

People often laugh when I call my cell phone an electronic leash. Granted I own a super sleek RAZR so it's not obtrusive, but...still a leash nonetheless. Because I'll be damned if everytime I step into the bathroom, my phone is ringing before I'm doing doing my business. It's just the way it always seems to work out. Soon people will interupt me on a cooler device, and after I'm done listening to them gab on, I'll be able to check email and my horoscope, all while in the stall. Marvelous!

The other day my significant other and I were having a conversation and we both wondered....what DID we do before the Internet? iPod? And soon...iPhone???

Remember the good old days, everyone? When you had to hope someone was home in order to call them? When you needed to talk instead of just send a text, IM or email? Or God forbid, actually go to their house to see something instead of GoToMeeting or look on their web cam? When you actually had to use a STAMP and WRITE a letter to someone? Holy hell! How DID we do it?

The times they are a changin'. So sayeth Bob Dylan, anyway.

No comments: