Sunday, July 8, 2007

This was the week it was...

A week. Seven days. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of time but when you think about it in the grand scheme of things...a lot can happen! (What the heck, a lot can happen in a day!)

This past week I have been on "vacation" from my regular full time job. There was a rhyme and a reason for this vacation...I had a number of things I needed to get accomplished, and truth be told - I needed a break. Things have been very stressful there for the last couple of months and when I came to the realization that I just past my five year mark and had yet to have taken an entire week away from the office...I decided that the time was now. Plus at the end of the week I had planned to have two wisdom teeth removed and knowing myself the way I do, I knew I'd be out of it for a couple of days. In preparation for that, I needed to get my proverbial ducks in a row prior to that or I would never be able to relax enough to get better.

So I planned a week of catching up on loose ends, cleaning up miscellaneous projects, getting my surgery and then maybe relaxing.

Ha. Here it is, Sunday, eve of my return to work tomorrow morning and I'm doing a quick assessment of where I stand.

Stuff that happened this week:

Painted my kitchen red. (Well...I personally didn't do it. But I suffered through the fumes as someone else did)
Wrapped up with 4-5 old projects that were hanging on
Billed out a lot of work and received a lot of payment (YAY!)
Got 3 new LARGE clients that are going to be big money makers. Definitely a case of being at the right place at the right time
Met with a client in the middle of day without having to rush or fight rush hour traffic
Redesigned my website. Part of it is already live. I've been planning to do that for a LONG time!
Redesigned my logo and ordered new business cards. Another thing that needed to be done!
Got those pesky wisdom teeth pulled. Ouch. Those people who said that it doesn't hurt are LIARS.
Watched half a season of X-Files (I forgot how much I enjoyed that show)
Designed 4 logos
Made a very cool 80s playlist on iTunes, for when I'm feeling retro
Thumbed through several old PRINT annuals. Wow. The 90s sure did produce some interesting work
Found 2 books on Amazon I'd been looking for for YEARS, and they were both under $1!
Bought another Art Director's Annual on eBay for under $10, shipped
Had lunch with my significant other at an awesome Chinese buffet that is way overpriced for dinner (but priced ok for lunch)
Watched The Shawshank Redemption in one sitting
Went out in public with an icepack on my face
Cleaned up a little in my home studio, mostly put away stuff I wasn't using
Listened to a LOT of kids' daytime TV from the other room
Designed 3 huge banners with horses on them for a client
Sat in bed, very late at night and wrote bio info for my website
Relaxed for half a day, because damn it, I deserve it

There's more of course, but those are the highlights. It's going to be a tough sell to return to work tomorrow. Not to mention that I'm still sore and in pain from the teeth thing. Huh. Freelancing full time seemed like such a crazy idea before but today, right now...it seems like such an attractive option. And it's even a viable one.

I'll have to think on this...

No comments: